- Stern is named president of newly formed Ford Integrated Services; was formerly vice president of Services at Apple, where he oversaw Apple TV+, iCloud, Apple News+, Apple Books, Apple Arcade, Apple One and Apple Fitness+
- Reporting to Ford President and CEO Jim Farley, he will build a world-class team to create and market innovative customer experiences by integrating hardware, software and services across Ford Blue, Model e and Ford Pro
- The moves accelerate the Ford+ strategy to transform the company by building sustained, always-on customer relationships and capturing new, high-margin services, subscription and other digital revenue
- Stern will build out the business tied to Ford’s BlueCruise hands-free driving system as well as productivity and safety/security services, and oversee new physical services, services marketing and Ford Next
DEARBORN, Mich.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Ford today named Apple veteran Peter Stern to lead the newly formed Ford Integrated Services, which will create and market valuable software-enabled customer experiences across Ford Blue, Model e and Ford Pro.
Stern served as vice president of Services at Apple for more than six years through January 2023 and was a driving force behind the launch of Apple’s portfolio of services, including Apple TV+, Apple News+, Apple Arcade, Apple Fitness+, MLS Season Pass and Apple One.
Stern, who starts at Ford today and reports to President and CEO Jim Farley, will build a world-class team to:
- Build out the business tied to Ford’s BlueCruise hands-free highway driving system and productivity and safety/security services, including those from the Ford Pro Intelligence business
- Imagine and deliver exciting new high-value services, and
- Lead services marketing, certain out-of-vehicle customer experiences and Ford Next.
“This is transformational, because the cornerstone of our Ford+ plan is creating incredible customer services and experiences enabled by great hardware and software,” Farley said. “There’s simply no one in the world better able than Peter Stern to build this strategically vital part of our business.”
Ford is developing leadership at the forefront of connected, digital platforms that will revolutionize every aspect of how vehicles function, the way people interact with them, and the value those vehicles provide. The company has more than 550,000 paid software and services subscribers, with Ford Pro commercial customers today accounting for more than 80% of them.
Stern said he was motivated to join Ford to help transform the company with valuable and affordable services for millions of customers.
“I love creating new services businesses and this is the perfect chance to do just that,” Stern said. “The auto industry is undergoing an unprecedented transformation, from gas engines to electric vehicles and from human to autonomous driving.
“At the same time, the basis for differentiation is shifting from the vehicles alone to the integration of hardware, software and services. I’ll be in the middle of something truly historic and am particularly fortunate to do that at Ford, which has been democratizing automotive technology for 120 years and counting.
“You couple that with the Ford family’s involvement in the business and commitment to doing the right thing in the long term and this is really where I belong.”
Stern brings unique experience and accomplishments to Ford. In addition to running Apple TV+ and Sports, iCloud, Apple News, Apple Books, Apple Arcade, Apple Fitness+ and Apple One, he headed marketing for all Apple services, including the App Store, Apple Card, Apple Pay, Apple Music, Apple Podcasts and Apple Maps. Stern also oversaw Apple’s ad businesses during a period of rapid growth.
Before joining Apple in 2016, Stern was Time Warner Cable’s EVP and chief product, people and strategy officer. He began his career at McKinsey & Co.
Stern earned a juris doctor degree from Yale Law School, where he was an editor of the Yale Law Journal and author of the book Connecticut Prisoners’ Rights. He subsequently became a member of both the New York and Connecticut bars. Stern has a bachelor’s degree in music and English from Harvard University.
# # #
About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company (NYSE: F) is a global company based in Dearborn, Michigan, committed to helping build a better world, where every person is free to move and pursue their dreams. The company’s Ford+ plan for growth and value creation combines existing strengths, new capabilities and always-on relationships with customers to enrich experiences for customers and deepen their loyalty. Ford develops and delivers innovative, must-have Ford trucks, sport utility vehicles, commercial vans and cars and Lincoln luxury vehicles, along with connected services. The company does that through three customer-centered business segments: Ford Blue, engineering iconic gas-powered and hybrid vehicles; Ford Model e, inventing breakthrough EVs along with embedded software that defines exceptional digital experiences for all customers; and Ford Pro, helping commercial customers transform and expand their businesses with vehicles and services tailored to their needs. Additionally, Ford is pursuing mobility solutions through Ford Next, and provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company. Ford employs about 177,000 people worldwide. More information about the company and its products and services is available at corporate.ford.com.
Equity Investment Community
Lynn Antipas Tyson
Fixed-Income Investment Community